"WORRYING is F***ing AWFUL" - a statement I've heard in my therapy room many times!
Worrying takes up your time AND head space AND it's ruining your life. Some days you wish the ground would swallow you up, just so you'd have a quiet mind.
I've been there - mindless worrying about things I couldn't even control. And then I had a light bulb moment. I realised that I didn't have to do it anymore. So I stopped.
Did you know what the word 'worrying' comes from an old English expression meaning 'to strangle'? When you constantly worry, you may feel exactly as though you can't breathe! So, the following 5 tips will help you breathe freely again.
1. Schedule in “Worry Time” - When you catch yourself starting to worry, Tell yourself that you can only worry between the hours of 6 and 7pm for example. 6 and 7pm will come and go! (Pick a time that suits you).
2. Concentrate on Solutions. Is there anything you can do to resolve this worry? If there is, do it. Don't concentrate on the problem, concentrate on the actions you can take.
3. Write your worries down on paper and then shred them or burn them – slay that beast!
4. Spend 7 days writing down 5 good things about your day – every day. If you can think of more than 5, keep going! Concentrate on the positive things in your life, and start small.
5. Prioritise yourself. Do something every day that makes you feel happy. It might be something simple like a bath, reading a book for 30 mins, a phone call to someone you miss, a quick walk round the block, a 10 minute meditation.... but put you first AT LEAST once a day.
STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND TAKE ACTION.
DOING NOTHING = NO CHANGE.
TAKING ACTION = TRANSFORMATION.
– SCHEDULE WORRIES – THINK SOLUTIONS – GET THEM DOWN AND GET THEM OUT – 5 GOOD THINGS – PRIORITISE YOU –